Read or Recite
Duration: 2 Minutes Lights: Green 1:00, Amber 1:30, Red 2:00, Buzzer 2:30
- To provide you with an opportunity to exercise vocal variety and body language in the delivery of a piece written by someone else. Children’s stories and excerpts from famous speeches are examples of such material.
- Choose a piece of poetry or prose and decide whether your objective will be to read or recite.
- If you are going to read from a book, make a photocopy with enlarged print. This will help you follow the text more easily and enable you to look up and maintain some level of eye contact.
- As with all assignments, prepare and rehearse to ensure correct timing. Readings seem to be particularly prone to going over time.
Before the meeting begins:
- Inform Chairman of your title, and how you would like him/her to introduce you.
During your assignment:
- Keep any introduction short, maximum of 15-20 seconds.
- Allow yourself to concentrate on your delivery: voice, pace, pausing, gestures…. The whole idea is to relieve you of the burden of worrying about what to say.
- When you are finished, hand back to Chairman.
- That is the end of your assignment. You will be evaluated by the General Evaluator